Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hare Today, Bench Tomorrow

Hare today, bench tomorrow, elephant yesterday. That was my work schedule for Thursday and Friday.  I bought a pink bench with a cute elephant on it when out treasure hunting. (Read here.) I actually bought three pieces of furniture which were in pretty good shape - i.e. they did not need painting.  I would need to clean and sand them  Maybe add a little dark wax to them.  But that would be all.  


That is until Suzan posted about several sites that make her blog so wonderful.  Now most of you know I am a Pic Monkey Junkie and proud of it, but Suzan suggested taking out iPiccy for a spin.  She also mentioned making your images (in my case they are offered by Karen at The Graphics Fairy!) into giant posters over at Block.  Now if Suzan suggests it, I will usually try it.  Usually.  There are some boundaries after all.  Read about the nifty sites Suzan uses here at Simply Vintageous!

So I did.  

So I spent several hours playing with graphics. 

So no laundry was done.  

So I went a little crazy and created a poster for all three pieces of furniture!

So I had at least tripled my work getting these pieces ready for the booth.

So I really did not care.  It was a fun afternoon!  Thanks, Suzan!

Loved the bench, but the elephant  had to go.  I sanded him off with a heavy duty grit paper.  If I had stuck to the original plan, I would have added a glaze and then waxed it.  I would have been done in under an hour - and that's counting drying time.











 I went over to the Graphics Fairy and got the black bunny silhouette.  Last year I had used this on several things and loved it.  

I did not want to repeat myself. I took it over to iPiccy and changed the color to a pinkish brown, gave it a frame, and changed its name to HARE in a fancy font.  

Next I took the image over to Block.  I had to figure this site out, but I finally did.  The poster printed out on four sheets of paper.  I cut them out - straight edges where they met and deckle edges on the outside.





 Remember the old adage about measuring twice?  Well, I measured and remeasured several times before printing the poster.  Thought I had it right, but didn't. No worries.  I just trimmed each side so the poster would fit on the bench top.










Using my Mod Podge, I carefully glued down the image - very carefully - you have to match the seam lines.  If you are a beginner Mod Podger, I would practice first.

I let it dry before giving it a couple of coats of Mod Podge and two coats of satin varnish.  (Make sure the piece is completely dry between coats)










 I also put a white glaze over it to tone it down,  I waxed with Howard's dark oak.

(It is sitting on a teaser piece.  I need to finish it, and then I will reveal.)




 It is an elegant hare now, not a dumb pink elephant of a bench.





Willie Wonka wore out before all the Mod Podging and waxing were over.  I think it was the drying time that got him.

Sweet dreams, wild boy!











I am trying to stop myself, but I have an image in mind for that blue-green dresser from several weeks ago.  I may have to head over to iPiccy or Pic Monkey and then off to Block!  (I wanted to say off to Mood like on Project Runway, but that would not make sense!)

Stop me, please!

See y'all!



Follow Me on Pinterest  . One More Time EventsSweet Anne Designs - Sweet Sharing MondayThe Graphics FairyMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaThe DIY DreamerFluster Buster Green Willow Pond Ivy and ElephantsLavender Garden Cottage Vintage On A DimebuttoncraftionaryPhotobucketHomespun HappeningsLadybird LnLiz Marie BlogFurniture Feature FridaysFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialIt's OverflowingHomespun Happenings

24 comments:

  1. Precious--and waaaay out of my league: posters!!! Who knew?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. An elegant hare indeed! I like that you just put the image right on with the mod podge instead of transferring it. I'll have to try that some time.

    And, I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll stop you...I'd rather encourage you to carry on and keep me entertained.

    Sorry, Chucks.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out adorable.. your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute bench ! With Easter coming up its perfect timing as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that hare graphic! I needed that for a project and didn't realize GF had one! Thanks! The bench is just adorable....you chose your graphics well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Please share it on a terrific linky – Design Décor Tuesday. www.designdecortuesday.blogspot.com. See you there! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice little stool, you did a great job! and Willie Wonka is kinda cute also. Andi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute makeover. Your hare reminds me of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the graphic, love the font! Pinned this little pretty ;)

    Thanks so much for linking up,
    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet shabby bench.
    It caught my eye at the link party,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love It!!!!!! Thanks for sharing my dear!!!!! Deb Vintage On A Dime

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute bench! I love how it looks vintage! Thanks for sharing at The Gunny Sack!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bunny...oh excuse me...hare. Just in time for Easter too! I'm going to have to check out this Block. Arggg! One more thing to learn. But I'll be it will be worth it ;) Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays! Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE it! I loved that silhouette before but you made it awesome with the lettering over the top!
    I pinned it and I'm saving it :)
    thanks
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a difference a lot of work and time can do. Also, a lot of talent thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did such a great job with the bench Donna! Love it!

    Thanks for linking up at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! See you tomorrow evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that rabbit! It looks very folk arty :) Thank you for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully done Donna. Thanks for linking it up at Shabbilcious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is a wonderful bench and you did such a great job! I have no idea what the steps were, but I am thoroughly impressed!! Thanks for inspiration.
    Nancy
    http;//wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. As everybody before me has said your little bench with awesome hare is incredible. Love it. I'm not going to try to do it the way you did but will maybe figure out another way. (yeah right)
    OH no not some more websites to stump me. No I haven't had the courage to go to any of them as I seem to be very digitally pc challenged. DUH!!! I'm too impatient but know if I could understand it and do it I'd be very glad so I could make things great like you and others do. Happy weekend. I can however print out the hare.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!