Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pesky Peter, Piano Bench


 Pesky Peter, the piano bench, started out being my favorite piece I picked in the last several weeks.  However, I have come to revile him for his impish ways.

At first I had planned to just give his blue-gray finish a medium sanding so the details were shown to their best advantage. 

As you can see he is a handsome fellow.  I like a guy with great legs.  He has a nifty lift top.  He is very sturdy.

I am loving that color.





Oh, yeah, those are some beautiful legs.  Just a bit of wax and Peter will be good to go.  I just need a short break to check in with my blogger buddies to see what they are doing.

Well, Suzan at Simply Vintageous has an interesting post on sites to help your blog.  Read here!

If you read my hare bench post, then you know what is coming.

Yep, I was hooked on iPiccy and Block.

I felt Peter would benefit from my afternoon of playing with images.  I did make a special one just for him.











Take these three images from The Graphics Fairy over to iPiccy and combine them.  I used the ticket above as the base and the postmark and Eiffel Tower as overlays.




 This is the result - a beautiful image which I promptly took over to Block to make a four-panel poster.  As with the hare bench I carefully measured more than twice and as with the hare bench the image printed out wider than it was supposed to.  At least that is my story.  I am sticking to it.


The four panels


On the piano bench - too wide! First strike against Peter.


Mod Podged a shortened version

Faint overlay of Eiffel Tower


Faint overlay of postmark



 It was dark.  I was working on the hare bench and this bench in the living room.  There is only ambient light - no work lights.  I was also dying cloth in the kitchen.  The cats and dogs were helping.  That is my story and I am sticking to it!

The edges all matched.  Two coats of Mod Podge.  Three coats of satin varnish.  I was rolling and it was only 1 AM!

Something felt wrong.  I checked the hare bench - no, he was all finished.

I checked the cloth in the sink.  No, that was coming along fine and dandy.  

I checked on Peter who was nicely drying his final coat of varnish.

Whoa!  What is that?  N-O-O-O-O-O-O-O !!!!  Yes, I screamed.  I had forgotten many steps ago to wipe off the excess Mod Podge.  Now it was firmly encased in the varnish.

That is two strikes, Peter!



After ignoring Peter for two days I finally got the sander and went to work carefully taking off the layers of varnish and those ugly smears of Mod Podge.

Look!  It worked - a little more distressed than I first wanted, but I can live with it.



Here are three photos of Peter as he stands in the living room.  I might be in love again.  He is so handsome.  Maybe I will forgive those two strikes.  They were partly my errors.







Peter graciously opened his top so I could use him for staging some other projects coming soon.  I thought that he wore those fake hydrangeas well.  Maybe I should have painted a little message inside.  Or maybe a short piece of music.  I think I will move him over near the sofa and see how he looks there.


 N-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!  Do not drop on my broken little toe. No, Peter, I do not believe you would do that!

Three strikes, buddy.  You are out of here!

Chucks and I drove him over to the store this very afternoon.  I hope he behaves for his new owner.  I must go and put some ice on my toe. 

See y'all!







Follow Me on Pinterest  . One More Time EventsSweet Anne Designs - Sweet Sharing MondayThe Graphics Fairy My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia The DIY Dreamer Green Willow Pond Fluster Buster Vintage On A Dime Lavender Garden CottageIvy and ElephantsPhotobucketvif187PhotobucketcraftionaryLadybird LnHomespun HappeningsFurniture Feature FridaysLiz Marie BlogFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialIt's Overflowing - See more at: http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2013/03/overflowing-with-creativity-66/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ItsOverflowing+%28Its+Overflowing+%7C+Simply+Inspired+Home%29

19 comments:

  1. Your poor toe! Why is the already injured part the one to get hurt again? He looks sweet, now, and will bring someone else pleasure and (hopefully) no pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about that toe! For such a beautiful piano bench you made...he surely is cursed! I think this is one of my favorite projects of yours girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nooooo, about the mod podge! The end result is just divine, though! Especially love the legs! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Peter should have been Patrice. No man would hit your toe! What a wonderful idea in combining those images!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter is so handsome now... love those legs!!! Great job with the images. I especially love the Eiffel Tower faded in the background like that. Awesome!! I really have to find me some time to check out iPiccy and Block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post. I really like what you did with the graphics by combining them together. Good for you for not giving up on Peter, he was worth saving. Hope your toes are better:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome bench,how did you do the graphic so it looks like an overlay?
    I tried it in photoshop but can't figure out how.The bench,Peter,looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful bench Donna - I want to know how to do the overlay thing too!!!
    Take care of those toes!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your "Peter" bench looks great. Love the graphic on the top. I even like it opened.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Good work. Would love to have you share this at What to do Weekends. Linda

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/02/what-to-do-weekends-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I would love for you to share it on "Show It Off Wednesday".

    http://viewfromrivermountain.blogspot.com/2013/02/show-it-off-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog! I look forward to reading more.

    You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great transformation! Please share your project at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch! Hope your toe is okay. Your bench turned out very pretty despite all the troubles. Thank you for sharing this and your ribbons at "What We Accomplished Wednesdays." Have a great weekend!
    hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch--broken toe? Poor Peter can't win. I know it is too late now, but mod podge sheet music on the inside would have been a cute surprise! Thanks for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about your toe! My husband broke his a few weeks ago and is just now starting to get some relief. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ιt's very easy to find out any topic on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this piece of writing at this web page.

    Feel free to visit my blog post - website

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!