Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pink + Silver

glass vase makeover with pink chalk paint and Krylon Silver spray paintSo what did I do with the quarter glass vases from last week's thrifting trip?

Let's see how it adds up.









Glass vase + pink chalky paint + Krylon Silver Spray = PRETTY!




My plan had called for Looking Glass spray, but I did not have enough for all nine vases.

A trip to Hobby Lobby for paint changed my mind to Krylon Silver spray paint.

I had not used it before, but will again.  (No, I am not paid to say nice things about companies.)

Here are some of the vases baking in the sun.

You will notice the Silver is the opposite of Looking Glass.

I sprayed the inside of each vase, and the shiny side is inside.

With Looking Glass paint, you spray the inside to get the shiny side to show through to the outside.



See?  Shiny silver inside!

Several light coats are the best.

You do not want extra paint sloshing around in there.








I used the left-over ballerina slipper pink chalky paint I mixed up for the pink table I guest posted about at The Thrifty Rebel.












Using a sanding sponge I distressed each vase and added a clear coat of MinWax.





NOTE:  Because of the paint treatment, the vases cannot hold water and must be cleaned with a dry soft cloth.




I had a little pink French gimp left to tie around five of the vases.













With a steel safety pin, I attached a white button and a cherub tag.












This trio has pleated tulle tied around each middle with a tulle rose and a cherub tag.













These pink + silver vases are available at Riverfront Antique Mall in Booth B-5.

(North Augusta, South Carolina)












I was merrily spray painting with the silver not realizing the blow-back had turned my hand and arm SILVER!

Chucks said I look like the Tinman in The Wizard Of Oz.

It took an entire bottle of alcohol to remove the paint.

It does remind me of Danni's  Witch Hand.






Tonight is the third installment of Swap & Tell.

I will be offering to swap a pink + silver vase.





See y'all!









Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 



<




Follow Me on Pinterest

Share your Cup Thursday #116 
Thrifty Life Thursday #33 at Revisionary Life 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
The Cottage Market Presents Junkin Joe Every Friday 

 Shabbilicious Friday


Swap & TellThe DIY DreamerSavvy Southern StyleTreasure Hunt Thursday Ivy and ElephantsPhotobucketHandmade Hangout Linky Party: from g2bLavender Garden Cottage

15 comments:

  1. Donna, brilliant! That's the best I've ever seen floral vases look! And, my little pretty, so was your hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea to use the silver paint on the inside and the pink chalk paint on the outside. Makes for a very unusual look especially when you distress the finish. You might be starting a trend with this, Donna. Including one more way to decorate those, ugh, mason jars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Reminds me of all those distressed mason jars I've been seeing around blogland and pinterest. When I painted my ugly brown cabinet aqua, I didn't wear any protective clothing. In fact I was in shorts and a tank. I ended up with very blue arms, hands, legs and feet. I've since gone to at least wearing rubber gloves so my hands aren't covered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! Those vases are abundant, what a great way to make them pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Looking Glass paint looks like a lot of fun! Is it something easily found or would I have to order in online?

    Thanks for the fun tutorial, Donna!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vases turned out so rich looking ... 25¢ well invested.
    Great job.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vases look fabulous! I love pink and silver together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hand does look like the tin man! I love the pink and silver together...these would be pretty at a wedding reception. Hope your week is going well.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna they are stunning, if I thought I could get one here unbroken I'd find something to swap! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are seriously pretty! Bet they sell really fast too. Love the tags of course. I was thinking your hand looked like the tin man too! Although...it may be even creepier looking than the witch hand! Thanks for the shout out girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty, Donna! Love the pink and silver combination. Your hands look like mine after a paint project! Cheers, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna ... what is that green piece of furniture with the bars in the background? (last picture). Very pretty piece ... Looks like something I would love. Hope your vases are selling like hotcakes.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute Mrs. tin man! lol! I am horrible at wearing gloves when I do things also. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, Tin Woman...your pink and silver vases make such a pretty grouping! I especially like the ones with the gimp. Thank you for sharing them at Revisionary Life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these vases. I saw them at The Cottage Market. What a great job of turning blah vases into works of art.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!